DEPARTAMENTO DE CULTURA- EUSKO JAURLARITZA - GOBIERNO VASCO
In 1979 the Basque Autonomous Community was formed and with autonomy came a responsibility for the Basque film industry. In 1981 the Basque Government started a policy of aid for the audiovisual production industry with elaborate plans aimed at developing the creation of films in Euskadi.
The outreach of Basque cinema and the Department of Culture of the Basque Government that has been strengthened in recent years through different lines of action:
- The empowerment of production, competitiveness and employment in the Basque audiovisual sector through a line of interest-free loans and a credit line to finance contracts with broadcasters and distributors.
- Support for the creation and production of audiovisual works.
- Promotion and advertising support.
- Support of new media
- Promotion of cinema in the Basque language through programs such as “Zinema euskaraz” and “Zinema streaming”.
- Support to exhibitors on programming and transition from analog to digital.
Zineuskadi was created in 2010 by the following founding members: the Basque Government’s Culture Department and the independent audiovisual producers associations EPE-APV and IBAIA hoping to cooperate with the audiovisual sector. This association, is the official host organisation for MEDIA Antena Euskal Herria, and also promotes and supports the creation of a network of theatres in the Basque country, with special attention to European cinema and Basque films.
Cine-Regio representative Mrs. Verónica Sánchez
Verónica Sánchez, (Bilbao 1969) has a Degree in Audiovisual Communication from the University of the Basque Country (UVP) and was an Erasmus student at the University of Karlstad (Sweden).
Later, she moved to France and worked at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival for the market division MIFA where she was in charge of the marketing & sales department.
Since 1999, she has been the Director of the MEDIA Antenna San Sebastian (service for the Basque Country), which is one of the four offices that the MEDIA Programme has in Spain. She has been Regional Representative at the MEDIA Committee in Brussels, where she was a member of the Spanish delegation. Her main responsability was to represent the interest of the audiovisual industry for the Spanish regions at the European Commission.
As of January 2011, she’s been the director of Zineuskadi.